As some of you all may know, NaNoWriMo is right around the corner – aka this Sunday, November 1st and also DayLight Savings (one more hour for writing!). I came across a fun prepping for NaNoWriMo post and realized that I was not as prepared as I thought I was – especially since I only wrote 1/5 last year, the equivalent to a novelette.
1,666 words a day sounds so simple….. Yet finding that ‘inspiration’ or fighting the urge to read an already published book are going to be my biggest struggles – let alone working, playing intramural sports, and training for a marathon. This is where prioritizing takes effect (sorry, working is still at the top).
I’m thinking of these 30 days as a season in any sport – notably football since we are smack dab in the middle of it. You have your pre-season, regular season, playoffs, and the championship. Sure there will be some tougher game-days and maybe some that are a breeze, but remembering that all those add up and lead to the big finish. So here is my pre-game strategy in the next few days before the NaNoWriMo season kicks off!
- Determine my writing space and make it accessible to all needed supplies (paper, pens, notecards, post-its, laptop, mugs, snacks, etc)
- Create a mellow playlist (Spotify or 8-Tracks have the Mood playlists, perfect!)
- Have some general ideas of what the 50,000 words will be about
- Reload my Starbucks card for the much needed lattes (the Holiday cups will be arriving soon, FYI 🙂 )
- Have writing prompts on standby (for when those inevitable writer’s blocks come)
I’ll be seeing you at opening day!
How are you pre-gaming for NaNoWrimo 2015?